Day in Towne
Before You Arrive
Teachers - you and your students will complete most of the lessons and activities, including student interviews to staff each of the 16 International Towne countries.
The Day of Towne
You and your students will come to Young Americans Center to run International Towne. When you arrive, your students will transform into country Presidents, Finance Ministers, Customs Agents, and more. Students will work together to start-up their country operations: Freight Forwarders deliver imports and supplies, Finance Ministers distribute salaries to country employees and citizens display products and set prices.
Towne Officially Opens
After the Opening Ceremony, students will spend part of their day working in and part "traveling" to each of the 16 countries. Each student is important to their country and the global operation and each of the 16 countries serves a unique purpose in the economy. The entire simulation is carefully configured to help students learn how their actions and decisions, individually and as a country, impact the overall economy.
Learn About the 16 International Towne Countries:
AmeriLat Region: Brazil, Costa Rica, Mexico
Currency: AmeriLat note
- Global fact: Brazil has won the World Cup Soccer title more than any other country in the world.
- International Towne function: Game Attendants admit fans to participate in an interactive "World Cup" soccer game and sell souvenirs.
- Global fact: Costa Rica's economy is heavily reliant on its production of bananas, coffee and sugar.
- International Towne function: Greenhouse Attendants care for a tropical greenhouse, teach a Rainforest Cultural Activity and sell nature crafts and souvenirs.
- Global fact: Festivals have been an important part of Mexican village life for centuries, many of which celebrate the village's patron saint and blend Indian and Christian traditions.
International Towne function: Artisans teach about Dia de los Muertos and sell refreshments.
PacAsia Region: Australia, Singapore, China, India, Japan
Currency: PacAsia Note
- Global fact: Australia is home to the 1,243 mile Great Barrier Reef and the Aboriginal people.
- International Towne function: Artisans teach an Aboriginal Dot Art Cultural Activity and sell souvenirs.
- Global fact: In addition to being the world's busiest seaport, banking and the stock exchange generate over 25% of this city-state's income.
- International Towne function: As the International Bank, Currency Exchange employees provide banking and currency exchange services for citizens and countries.
- Global fact: China is one of the world's oldest cultures.
- International Towne function: Museum Guides take visitors on an International Museum tour to study artifacts from each of the 16 International Towne countries. China also teaches an Abacus Cultural Activity and sells green tea and souvenirs.
- Global fact: Bombay produces more films than anywhere in the world.
- International Towne function: Projectionists show travelogues and foreign films from each of the 16 International Towne countries.
- Global fact: Electronic components and computers comprise more than 50% of the electronic goods produced in Japan.
International Towne function: As the International Television Station, Photojournalists, Reporters and Ad Agents produce a world newscast, teach an Origami Cultural Activity and sell commercials and souvenirs.
MidAfri Region: Egypt, Ghana, Israel
Currency: MidAfri note
- Global fact: Millions of people visit Egypt each year to view the pyramids, one of the 7 wonders of the world.
- International Towne function: As the International Towne passport service, Passport Agents process passport and travel photos and sell cultural souvenirs representative of Egypt's old and rich culture.
- Global fact: Ghana is known as the Gold Coast for its reserves of gold that were mined by the Ashanti people. The Ashanti culture as well as other ethnic groups have developed a rich tradition of masks.
- International Towne function: Artisans teach an African Mask-Making Cultural Activity and sell souvenirs.
- Global fact: 25% of Israel's export earnings are derived from the production of diamonds. Israel is also the world's largest exporter of flowers.
International Towne function: Israel offers a "bazaar cart" with a variety of custom-made jewelry and flower seeds.
EuRussia Region: Finland, Germany, Greece, Ukraine, United Kingdom
Currency: EuRussia note
- Global fact: Finland is one of the top producers of softwood pine and spruce.
- International Towne function: Carpenters hand-craft wood products and sell souvenirs.
- Global fact: Germany produces some of the world's finest cars and electrical equipment.
- International Towne function: As the International Radio Station, Disc Jockeys/Ad Agents deliver music and news programming, take song requests and sell advertisements and souvenirs.
- Global fact: Greece operates the largest merchant fleet in the world.
- International Towne function: As the International Freight Forwarding Service, Freight Forwarders deliver goods and supplies to the other 15 International Towne countries, courier important documents and sell souvenirs.
- Global fact: Fertile plains known as steppes cover almost 75% of Ukraine and much of this land is used to grow cereals.
- International Towne function: Ukraine conducts an International Taste Test Cultural Activity with a variety of breads and spreads.
- Global fact: The UK is one of the world's leading sources for international news.
- International Towne function: As the publisher of the International Newspaper, Reporters and Typists/Ad Agents report on world news, and sell ads and souvenirs.